Monday, June 30, 2014

Kitchen Reveal

When we think of decorating we envision relaxing bedrooms, gloriously finished lounge rooms and grand dining areas. The kitchen isn't a room that you might think needs a lot of work in the decorating department. I found adding the right appliances, bar stools and finishing touches trickier than I first imagined it would be.

We decided to go for white appliances against our yellow splashback, and this was always my plan when I put in the white saturn switches. We love our De'longhi kettle and toaster and find it to be quite functional having them on the bench rather than in the pantry. Our Nespresso machine is also white but was exiled to the pantry as there was just too much clutter on the bench. We added a double power point in the pantry and Tom quite likes the coffee maker in there - he tells me its like visiting a tiny cafe each morning.

I found a fabulous white tray at Ikea which is now home to rosemary, basil and oregano for cooking. Our bar stools were a nightmare, and after many photoshop mock-ups, one set of horrid looking Ikea stools and hours of internet browsing I found our Xavier Pauchard stools. Tolix stools are everywhere at the moment and I was avoiding them at first. The wood grain inserts changed my mind though and they are so super sturdy. Mustard yellow is a really hard colour to match and the stools are more lemon, but I'm happy with the result overall.

We do intend to install cupboards or perhaps wine racks above our fridge when finances permit. Speaking of fridges, I am obsessed with our Samsung purchase. It is the most functional fridge I have ever owned, not to mention the biggest! All our kitchen needs now is a lovely big glass dome housing a delicious looking cake. I hope you enjoy looking at it as much as we do!

21 comments:

  1. Wow Mel, I must say these were the pics I was anticipating the most and they did not disappoint!! Simply BEAUTIFUL, who would've thought a kitchen could be an oasis :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nat! It's funny how the industrial stools change the feel of it. We are super happy, cooking has never been so lovely :) Can't wait to see your kitchen all put together, it will come faster than you think from now!

      Delete
    2. Amazing. You guys should go on The Block. I love the yellow so much. In fact, we are now looking for yellow stools and artwork to give our house a bit more Chester 'pop.' I love the room reveals, keep them coming.

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much E&M, that is high praise - I am so obsessed with the block! Yellow is making a comeback that's for sure :) I'm sure you will love it in your home as much as I do in mine.

      Delete
  2. Mel, it looks great. I was exactly the same and fought hard to find stools other than the ones that appear to be 'everywhere' but they are obviously everywhere for a reason, we have silver ones (without wood though) - if I ever get internet access again I'll update my blog - looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! The tolix stools are a great product and they feel much sturdier than a lot of the other ones I tested out. I really liked the silver and white ones too - can't wait to see your photos.

      Delete
  3. Hi Mel,

    The house looks amazing!!! Love you color choices.

    We are looking at the same samsung fridge, was wondering what would the dimensions of your fridge cavity be. Just want to make sure it fits.

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Thankyou for your kind words :) Our fridge recess is 900mm deep by 1000 wide on the plans. In reality it is a few cm smaller. My suggestion would be to measure once your gyprock is up if you think it's going to be a tight fit. Don't forget to allow for the doors swinging out too as they protrude sideways by maybe 2-3cm.

      Delete
  4. Hey the house looks fantastic! What wall colour did you use in the media room?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Renai, the colour was from the McDonald Jones paint range. It is called leatherwood.

      Delete
  5. Thanks. I'll check it out. I would love to do some feature walls in that colour or something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, your kitchen looks amazing, was just wondering what size your stools are? 65cm or 75cm. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, the stools are 65cm. 75 is a bit too tall for standard 90cm counter height.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous! I love the yellow. We have quite similar taste - white appliances, tolix stools etc. The cake sounds like a delicious addition :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike hey! I love the white appliances, only shame is that my kitchen aid is pink so it is hiding in the pantry. Yellow has never been a colour that I would have envisioned in my home but I'm really glad we went with it.

      Delete
    2. I had never used yellow in my home until my bedroom recently. Such a happy colour!
      I've started 'Colour Pops' posts for my blog each week. Next weeks colour is yellow. Would it be ok to link your blog on mine sometime next week to send people to look at amazing yellow in your kitchen??

      Delete
    3. Sure thing, that would be great! I've been loving all of your posts and shall look forward to the yellow one very much :)

      Delete
    4. Yellow Colour Pop was posted couple days ago. Your kitchen is going to be posted tomorrow morning :) :)

      Delete
  8. The stools are a very clever addition. They really liven up your kitchen. Who'd have thought mustard and lemon would work so well together. It's a really lovely kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much housebythewater :) Lemon seems to be everywhere at the moment so I am making the most of the shopping opportunities. I'm starting to see the tolix stools everywhere (even Kmart) but luckily no yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colors of your kitchen look very stimulating! You should be very proud of the work you've accomplished here. I don’t know how it looked like before, but I sure like it now – with all the twist of chic and contemporary style.

    Fred Richardson @ SGK Home Solutions, Inc.

    ReplyDelete